There’s no doubt that travel is an incredible thing. Travel opens your eyes to new people, places, and things, and so many opportunities and experiences come along with being a traveler.
That said, seeking mental health services as a traveler can be challenging. The good news is that there’s a solution.
Mental Health As A Traveler
First, let’s talk about mental health as a traveler. In addition to the aforementioned advantages of travel, it has the potential to support your mental health. Research indicates that planning and anticipating a trip can give you a boost in mood and that travel can lower stress levels.
It’s also indicated that travel can increase happiness. That said, even the most active and avid travelers aren’t immune to struggling with mental health; no one is. It’s essential to be mindful of when you need external support.
If you’re considering therapy, you may find that you are facing a number of concerns. These may include but aren’t limited to:
- Divorce, a career shift, or other life changes and transitions
- A mental health condition or symptoms of a mental health condition
- Difficulty with confidence or self-esteem
- Trouble concentrating or focusing
- Feeling down, depressed, or hopeless
- Grief or loss of any kind
- Problems in romantic relationships or other interpersonal connections, including friendships
- Familial concerns or issues
That said, these are only some of the common reasons that people go to therapy. You can see a therapist at any point in time for any reason, whether you’re simply looking for someone to talk to or there’s a specific matter that you want to work on and address.
Benefits Of Online Therapy For Travelers
Benefits of online therapy for travelers include but are not limited to:
- Where conditional in-person counseling or therapy can cost up to $200 or more per session, online therapy plans typically start at around $90 a week. This allows you to save money for travel, which of course, can get pricey.
- An increased ability to connect. With online therapy, you can connect with your therapist from anywhere with a reliable internet connection. This is particularly valuable as a traveler who may start the day in their hometown and end up a couple of hours away. With online therapy, you don’t have to stay in your city to make it to appointments.
- Help finding the right fit. Since online therapy lets you connect with any provider on the platform who is licensed to practice near you, the range of providers that you can choose from is likely expansive compared to those in your area who take your insurance and meet your needs. When you sign up for most online therapy websites, such as MyTherapist, you will take a questionnaire that’ll help you find the right fit. Additionally, you can switch therapists or cancel services at any point in time with MyTherapist.
Advice found online can never replace the support of mental health professionals. Although there are steps you can take to support your mental health, we all need assistance from time to time, and the truth is that anyone can benefit from seeing a therapist. To find a therapist or counselor, there are a variety of routes you can take.
You can ask your doctor for a referral, contact your insurance company to see who they cover, search the web, use an online directory, or sign up for a reputable online therapy website. Regardless of what you choose, you deserve to get the support you need, so don’t hesitate to reach out.
If you are a traveler, consider online therapy as an option that supports your lifestyle and allows you the freedom to travel while getting care from a licensed professional.